Wednesday 13 April 2016

Doing It, For Myself (April 13, 2016)

Been asked
In the past
Am I transitioning
As a way
Of striking back
At my mom.

A question
I can answer
Truthfully
No.

The greatest weapon
I can hurt her
Is silence
On my part.

Or
In reaction
To the years
Of abuse
By my younger brother.

Another question
That I can answer
No.

My first conscious memory
Of seeing myself
As a girl
Occurred
More than
Forty-one years ago.

Sitting
In a bathtub
Alone
Covering my chest
In bubble bath bubbles
Like I have breasts.

Similar
To mom's.

Never mind
The big differences
In how
I played
With my toys
As a child.

By being gentle
With them
Like they're fragile dolls.

Not the smash
Bang
Crash'em way
Of most small boys.

Or
My teenage years
Walking
Throughout the house
When alone.

As if
I was wearing
High heels.

Like the models
And actresses do
On TV.

Therisa © 2016

No comments:

Featured post

Chance Encounter (March 13, 2017)

July 21, 2006. A date Forever etched Into my memory. As if Done by A laser. By mistake And pure chance. I enter...