Friday 7 December 2018

Never Forgotten (December 6, 2018)



Twenty-eight years ago
I was studying for
My fall exams
At Carleton University
In Ottawa, Ontario.


As Canadians mourn
Ecole Polytechnique Massacre
Previous year
In Montreal, Quebec.


Marc Lepine’s
Murderous rampage
Killed 14 women
Wounding 10 others
And 4 men.


Before turning his gun
Upon himself
Murder victim: fifteen.


Remember
Feeling angered
Being excluded
Sharing grief.


News outlets reported
Women only march calls
On Parliament Hill.


Yes I cried
Hearing this news.


Like my soul
Had been sacrificed
On altar of hate.


As if
All males are
Murderous misogynistic
Beast.


Looking back
As a transwoman
Can understand
This anger and frustration.


Having myself
Been targetted
By similar behaviour
From men.


As U2’s song “40”
Plays in my mind
“...how long...”




Therisa © 2018

Author’s note: For more information, please check out this link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89cole_Polytechnique_massacre

No comments:

Featured post

Chance Encounter (March 13, 2017)

July 21, 2006. A date Forever etched Into my memory. As if Done by A laser. By mistake And pure chance. I enter...