Saturday 15 December 2018

Stand My Ground (April 2, 2008)



Days of passively watching
The world move around me
Like one of the horses
On a merry-go-round
Are over.

Learning to be more assertive
Take control over my life
Guiding the direction
Which i choose to walk.

Instead of being told
This is the way
Don't question this
By other people.

Never realizing
I'm giving up control
Over my life.

This simple act of passivity
Afraid of making mistakes
Wanting to be perfect
Not drawing negative attention
To myself.

Those days of hiding
Are over
Emerging from my shadow
A new and whole person.


Willing to take risks
Accepting the possibility of
Falling upon my face
But i'll living my life
Not someone's else. 

Therisa © 2008

Author's note: Another poem from my Poetry Morgue.

1 comment:

KB said...

I recently learned this important lesson too. We only get one life, we need to live it authentically.

Featured post

Chance Encounter (March 13, 2017)

July 21, 2006. A date Forever etched Into my memory. As if Done by A laser. By mistake And pure chance. I enter...