Saturday 6 April 2019

An Angel's Tears (June 13, 2015)

Often wonder.

How
Is it possible
For parents
To be clueless
About their own children.

Never realizing
Their child is
Different
From others.

As if
They had raised
A changeling
Instead.

And not
A child
Who is transgender
Gay lesbian
Or bisexual.

Denying
The reality
They have lived
For several years.

As their delusions
Are proven
An illusion.

In hearing
A single sentence
Being spoken
By a nervous
And anxious child:

"Mom
Dad
I'm ....."

Dropping
A heavy veil
Between parent
And child.

Which
Nothing can lift
As the tears flow
Upon a page.

Saying
A final good-bye.

Therisa © 2015

Author's note:June is, the anniversary month, which the LGBT community marches, in memorial, of the Stonewall Riots (1969), in New York City. The first Pride March occurred, in 1970, in the American cities of New York, Chicago, San Francisco and Los Angeles. Similarly, Toronto's Pride March was generated, by 1981 police bathhouse raids, which has grown, into one of the world's largest celebration of LGBT+ community. 

For the record, my mom rejected me, when I outed myself, to her, on July 1, 2006. In the following days, I slipped, into a dark and suicidal depression, which almost claimed me, except for the help of a dear friend, from Texas.

1 comment:

annell4 said...

Oh Dear Theresa...I am so sorry. We all wish we could have been better parents. We were not prepared. I think one day in the future...in the someday, far away, you will find you aren't so different after all. I am so sorry for your Mom, and so sorry for you. I think as long as we are still living, there is no final good-bye...this only happens in death. There is always the possibility to grow and to learn, even for parents.

I think having children of our own helps us to grow, we aren't the same people that our children start with. Children often mold us into other human beings.

Growing up, is about learning to love yourself, as you would have liked your parents to love you.

I have found, the more you get to know someone, the more wonderful, and unusual they are. Thank goodness, we are all different, strange and unusual.

I know that must have been very hard to come out to your parents. And I am sorry the outcome was not as you had hoped...maybe one day, your Mom will grow into the love you have for her. In the mean time be good to your beautiful self! Your writing is wonderful!! xoxoxoxohugs

Featured post

Chance Encounter (March 13, 2017)

July 21, 2006. A date Forever etched Into my memory. As if Done by A laser. By mistake And pure chance. I enter...