Thursday 11 April 2019

Dear Cousin (A Poetic Letter (April 11, 2019)

Dear Cousin;


My belated condolences
For Uncle J’s death (your dad)
In December 2018.


I know
A lot has changed
Since our last meeting
Celebrating 50 years
As a Canadian family
In June 2002.


Many of our cousins
Have either married
Had children
And/Or divorced.


In my case
I’ve learned things
Radically changing
My existence
As a person.


Through many pain filled
And harsh brutal nights
With PTSD flashback dreams
Of repressed memories.


I realize
I’m an abuse/bullying survivor.


And no
These memories weren’t
The by-product
Of a therapist induced creation.


Rather
My mental dykes collapsed
After a brutal 26 hour long
Panic attack
In August 2007.


Remember
How you and other cousins
Were ribbing me
About my dramatic weight gain
At the reunion?


One of the side-effects
From my chronic battle
With depression.


Intertwined
With anxiety disorders
Agoraphobia PTSD
And gender dysphoria.


I am transitioning
From male to female.


Don’t know
If my mom has shared
With the rest of family
As we’re not talking
To each other.


There is
So much more
That I want to share
With you.


But realize
I need to stop here
And let you digest
This information dump
I’ve given you.


Sadden
I understand
If I never hear back
From you.


Sincerely, your cousin,
Therisa (formerly T------)


Therisa © 2019


Author’s note: Last month, during a random search on my family, I discovered one of my
uncles had past away, on December 30, 2018. I spent the 1985 Canada Day long weekend
with him and his family, when dad had his first known heart attack. The remainder of the
1985 summer, was a trip through Hell, for me. As my younger brother attacked physically,
emotionally, and mentally, my mom and I. Just have to close my eyes, I can physically hear
and feel him, attacking us.

I want to send this poem to my cousin, the eldest son of my late uncle, but am scared of
him, rejecting me, as well.

2 comments:

Sherry Blue Sky said...

There is such a lot of pain in families, who can cause such hurt to each other. I am so sorry you went through so much, and sorry also that you dont have family support and understanding , which you so need and deserve, now. I am glad you can write your journey, which hopefully helps other people making similar journeys to feel less alone.

Lona Gynt said...

This is a tough situation. The poem is beautifully done, so precisely reflects the pain. If your cousin is able to see this, my hope is that it will lead to a joyful reunion. If rejection occurs, know that we are not alone, and that our first imperative is to live. Sharing this may help others.

Featured post

Chance Encounter (March 13, 2017)

July 21, 2006. A date Forever etched Into my memory. As if Done by A laser. By mistake And pure chance. I enter...