Saturday 20 April 2019

Becoming Water (April 20, 2019)

The transition
From a solid
To a fluid.

Healing chemistry
Of a holistic nature.

Regaining flexibility
So long lost
In pain and suffering
Of another lifetime.

Where rigidity is
An armoured shell
Protecting me
From your blows.

Now
A liability
That hinders
My healing process.

As I seek
To move forward
Reclaiming the past
For myself.

Like a gentle stream
That becomes
A fast raging river
Carving its pathway
Through the valley floor.

Displaying
True inner strength
So often
Hidden away
From plain sight.

Flow grows
Increasingly muddier
With my past debris
Stripping away.

A process
That can takes years
If not longer
Before completion.

If
At all.
First step
Is remembering
Being gentle
To oneself.

Isn’t a sign
Of inner weakness.

Rather
An awareness
Of the harmony
That nourishes life.

Enabling me
To move
At my own pace
As I embrace
My new self.

Therisa © 2019

Author’s note: The title and inspiration for this poem, comes from a children book, explaining, how melting glaciers become water, at my local library.

5 comments:

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I like the idea of inner healing being like the melting glaciers, some of the bad stuff melting away, the warmth of healing growing over time. I LOVE the new look of your blog. It is wonderful!

Susan said...

Beautiful. Here's to gentleness and fluidity, both part of a person's stability. bravo!

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

What a great source metaphor for your poem – which is full of powerful images conveying your journey and message.

annell4 said...

I love your metaphor of water, which is the strongest!!! Water always find a way. I can see real healing in your poem!! It takes guts, and strength to heal what life has dealt. Remember, we make a contract before we agree to come to this earth, we have agreed to it all. You came as a lamb, and a teacher. You have nothing to appologize for.

I'm sorry you weren't told how wonderful you are!! Your poetry is wonderful!! I love each word you have chosen. Thanks for sharing your poem.

Jade Li said...

The last stanza is a beautiful distillation of the rest. Moving at your own pace and embracing yourself whatever flows along with you on your journey. Thank you, Therisa, for sharing your poem with me.

Featured post

Chance Encounter (March 13, 2017)

July 21, 2006. A date Forever etched Into my memory. As if Done by A laser. By mistake And pure chance. I enter...