Wednesday 24 April 2019

Why Now? (April 24, 2019)

Last night
First time
In several years
I felt scare.


To be out
And about
In my neighbourhood.


A drunk larger man
Challenged my right
To be myself
In a very public place.


For a full minute
After I passed him
On the sidewalk
Rude and obscene comments
Followed me.


Walking towards
A local supermarket
For a quick trip.


I kept quiet
Not wanting
To further escalate
Into physical violence.


Pace of my stride
Never changing
A single step.


As his hand flexed
Around the beer can
He held.


Graphically symbolizing
His physical intention
Should his hands
Get around my neck.


Just writing this
Can feel my anxiety levels
Start to skyrocket
Into full panic mode.


Darm him!


I won’t allow
This knuckledragger
To control my clothes
Or how I present myself.


I have worked too hard
For some drunken ignoramus
To chase me
Into the closet
Again.


So
I sit here
Writing about this.


Knowing
I can’t surrender
To his implied violence
Or my past memories
Of similar situations.


Even if
I’m wiping away tears
That flow
From my eyes.


I am
A survivor.


Therisa © 2019

Author’s note: I didn’t see this person, again, on my return trip home. Still, I was shaken by this experience. Am writing this, as part of my Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT), in lessen the impact that this person has over me. I did nothing wrong, beyond having bad luck of meeting this jerk.

1 comment:

Magaly Guerrero said...

This is the only way we can fight this kind of horror--do all we can to keep them from controlling any part of us. Writing is great therapy.

Featured post

Chance Encounter (March 13, 2017)

July 21, 2006. A date Forever etched Into my memory. As if Done by A laser. By mistake And pure chance. I enter...