Friday 12 April 2019

The Marmalade Duo (April 12, 2019)




Venus and Squeak (August 8, 2011)

Hello
My old friends
Venus and Squeak.


Thank you
For everything
You’ve given me.


Been 11 years
Since April 7, 2008
Your birth date.


Although
Week would past
Before our first meeting
So long ago.


Over the years
You’re most precious gifts
Have been
Love and healing.


Squeak (March 3, 2011)

Nursing me
Through debilitating migraines
And PTSD flashbacks.


That left me
Virtual prisoner
Within my own body.


And yes
Tears of joy
During the darkest
Of depression.


Laughing
At your silly antics.


Stealing soy milk
From the cereal bowl
Or leaf lettuce
To snack on.


Venus ( June 21, 2011)
Else
Tag teaming
On either side
Of my body.


Pinning me
Unable to move
As you sleep
So angelically.


Please accept
My humble offering
This tin of salmon
On this special day
Your birthday.


Knowing
For the coming nights
And mornings.

My Marmalade Duo
Will hold my bed-hostage
Grooming each other
As I try to sleep.

A small price
That I’m willing
To pay
For your love.

Therisa © 2011 and 2019


4 comments:

Sherry Blue Sky said...

My favourite poem of yours ever.....they are so lovely, and your love for them shines through every line of this poem. Our animals love us better than any human knows how to do. I am so glad you have them and they have you.

annell4 said...

Dear Theresa How wonderful your poem!! I knew you could do it!! What a special birthday poem!! Happy Birthday to Venus and Squeak!! Beautiful butterscotch kitties!!! What a greaat present for their birthday!!!
Love your poem!! Look forward to the next one!!!

annell4 said...

I don't know if my comment "took?" I have been having trouble post comments.

Susan said...

A marvelous poem for two very good friends. I have two as well--black ones. I enjoyedd the photos and the love in this poem, especially the truth in the very last stanza.

Featured post

Chance Encounter (March 13, 2017)

July 21, 2006. A date Forever etched Into my memory. As if Done by A laser. By mistake And pure chance. I enter...