Saturday 7 May 2016

Mixed Feelings (May 6, 2016)

On Sunday
May 8th
Canadians and Americans
Celebrate Mother's Day.

A day
Personally
Am feeling ambivalent
For various reasons.

Especially
The societal pressure
To honour
An abusive parent.

As the department stores
Wind down
Their full court blitz
For Mother's Day.

The only reason
I call her
Mom
Is because
The DNA
That we share.

Nothing more.

A sad sigh
Escapes
As I see
A young woman
Pushing
A baby carriage.

Knowing
That'll never be me
Given my age
Birth genetics
And fear.

I will continue
The cycle of abuse
With my own children
Like my mom
Did to me.

Still
I long
To have
My own child
For whom
I have given birth to.

Therisa © 2016

Author's note: This July 2nd, will mark a decade, since I have told my mom, not to expect any children from, to which, she replied; "Already figured that." After I had accidentally outed myself, to her, the previous day. I know, many women will think, I'm crazy, for wanting to experience a mensal cycle, but even after the SRS, I won't feel complete, until it happens.

No comments:

Featured post

Chance Encounter (March 13, 2017)

July 21, 2006. A date Forever etched Into my memory. As if Done by A laser. By mistake And pure chance. I enter...