Tuesday 7 May 2019

My Gift(?) (May 7, 2019)

There’s days
I curse
My empathetic soul.


Struggling
In bed
Drowning in tears.


Doom and gloom
Fills the airwaves
Emotions skyrocketing
Across the spectrum.


Knowing
Only time can
Heal this.


Praying
The extremes
Even out.


Otherwise
Frenetic roller coaster ride
Below emotional equilibrium.


Questioning sanity
Every twist and turn
Of this trip.


Ending abruptly
Like it begins.


My body
Emotionally spent
Dreading the next journey
Through Hell.


Therisa © 2019


Author’s note: The dark side of having an empathetic gift, in 67 words. To understand
darkness, one must experience the light, as well.


There have been various times, which my empathetic gift has helped people, in the
healing of their emotional wounds, without realizing it, at the time. Most memorable one,
happened during my month-long stay, at a Toronto women’s homeless shelter, during
June 2007. When a beautiful Vietnamese woman (both internally and externally), who
is a domestic abuse survivor, whose abuse had permanently damaged her vocal cords
and scarred her throat, took me, under her care. Neither of us, realized how much we
needed each other, in healing the other, in forming a bond, between two souls seeking
understanding and compassion.


In the weeks, we talk and share parts of ourselves that we had kept silent about, with
others. A task, which we both found difficult, given our past experience. And yet, we
connected on a level, I have never experienced before. My patient silent listening, without
passing judgment, help her to move forward with the next stage of her life. Often, I think of
her, in giving my thanks, for her open acceptance of myself. In calling me, one of the most
balance yin/yang that she has met, as I struggled with my dark memories. I do hope, her
dreams have come true, in the almost 12 years, since we have parted.

Written for Poets United midweek motif (May 8, 2019), using the word prompt: gift.

11 comments:

Susan said...

Wow! I have a friend here with the same gift, and she often suffers from it. She spends a lot of time alone to lessen the effects. Well might you curse the gift--unless/until you find the way it becomes useful. This is a very powerful piece! (And I want to thank you for your insightful comment on my poem.)

rallentanda said...

If you are empathetic you are a magnet for those who are suffering. The terrible thing about it is the realisation of how many people including those with friends and family ( in name only) are completely isolated ,desperate and alone.There is so little kindness in this world and I am sure you are aware of that.I think Susan is right in that it is essential to spend time alone ,and time for yourself and get those bloody cats to pull their weight... breakfast in bed every morning:)

I believe it is a great gift to have especially if you are creative.Giving is such a rare thing and it shines through everything you do. I am religious and I believe these things don't go unnoticed where it really counts.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Empathy is truly a gift. When we feel the pain, at least we are feeling, not closed off. I love the story you tell in your notes about the woman you made friends with in the shelter. People helping and accepting each other is a great gift.

Kim M. Russell said...

An amazing gift!

Sanaa Rizvi said...

A rare and incredible gift! Thank you for sharing this poem.

Magaly Guerrero said...

An empathic mind is a gift that can really hurt. It is wonderful to be able to feel and understand another's emotions. But having to work through them is a more than difficult job. I have a good friend whose empathetic nature keeps her from watching the news or participating in social media... and, pretty much, anything that involves all the hurt the world seems to be made of these days.

Sumana Roy said...

A healing mind is what this sick world needs at the moment. To influence in a positive way with it is a reward in itself. You are indeed blessed to have such a wonderful gift. A powerful poem.

Gillena Cox said...

In your isolation i see poetry as a gift of light. A very candid no nonsense poem

Much🎁love

Old Egg said...

Often this is the case when being listened to helps so much. You don't have to be judgemental but just there to hear, hold hands express how strong they can be and of course that they are not alone.

Khaya Ronkainen said...

You have an incredible gift, Therisa. I can feel how it must exhausting at time, in your poem. I also enjoy reading your author's note, thank you for sharing this wonderful connection with another soul.

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

Don't ever lose your empathy, no matter how hellish it seems at times.

Featured post

Chance Encounter (March 13, 2017)

July 21, 2006. A date Forever etched Into my memory. As if Done by A laser. By mistake And pure chance. I enter...