Tuesday 29 March 2016

Misguided Effort (March 28, 2016)

To the members
Of Black Lives Matter
I ask you
This important question.

Shouldn't we
Be protesting
The lost of another life
By a Toronto constable
Regardless
Of one's skin colour?

Will admit
There's racism
Throughout Canadian society
Among
All ethnic groups.

I wonder
If Mr. Loku
Had been Arabic
Or Asian
Would your zeal
Still
Be here?

Sadly
I know
What the answer is:

NO!

As you seek
Your simple solution
To a complex question.

As I continue
My silent campaign
Pushing for real change
How Toronto Police
Handles those calls
Dealing with
The mentally ill.

Therisa © 2016

Author's note: The real crime, is how Toronto Police, deals with those calls that involved disturbed mentally ill people. For the Police service has been too slow, in their respond, to real change, in their operating procedures, in this area. How many more people, regardless, of one's skin colour, must die from a police bullet, before change happens. I speak, as a person, has struggled, with mental illness, for most of my life. The biggest tactical error, the police are making, is yelling, given these people may be disassociating, and they don't hear the tone, or the words that is being used, upon them. Escalating, the already stressful situation, to the point, the police officer may feel the need to use violent force to protect themselves.

No comments:

Featured post

Chance Encounter (March 13, 2017)

July 21, 2006. A date Forever etched Into my memory. As if Done by A laser. By mistake And pure chance. I enter...