Friday 15 January 2016

No Thanks, I'm Vegetarian (January 10, 2016)

www.fitstylelife.com
Don't understand
Why people are
So surprised
At my rejection
Of their holiday meal.

Knowing
There is little
To none
I will eat
Of the meal.

Due to
Personal
And medical reasons.

Smell of cooking meat
Is enough
To make me
Nauseous.

Although
Must admit
To indulging
In the odd craving
Of fish and chips.

So sue me.

Sadly
Am Type II diabetic
(Thanks mom
For this genetic inheritance).

Forcing me
To be
Very selective
On my dinner plate.

As
Traditional veggies served
At high holiday feasts
Contain high sugars
And starches.

A fact
I don't need reminding
As I try keep myself
From needing
To injection Insulin shots.

Never mind
My anxiety levels
Max out
In crowded
And noisy situations.

Triggering
My need for quiet space.

Else
Am facing
A nasty panic attack.

I thank you.

But
In all fairness
Have to say
"No"
To your generous offer.


Therisa © 2016


Author's note: Not sure, what triggered this mental discussion, which resulted, in the poem, before you. But I had to get these thoughts out, before they drove me, nuts. Every high holiday feast, like Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter, my building has a get-together, for the tenants, put on, by the staff, here, which I have politely declined.


For Christmas, last year, a food bank that I visit, when times are tight, was giving away tickets, for a free Christmas dinner, which I declined, disappointing another tenant, from my building, who wanted me, to accompany her, to it.


Sigh.


I can't win, for losing.

No comments:

Featured post

Chance Encounter (March 13, 2017)

July 21, 2006. A date Forever etched Into my memory. As if Done by A laser. By mistake And pure chance. I enter...