Tuesday 12 January 2016

Farewell, David, And Thank You



End of an era
Who's influence
Is being felt
As strongly
Today.

As it was
Forty years ago.

Without Ziggy Stardust
I wonder
Would the New Wave
And Goth explosion
Of the late 1970s
And early 1980s
Happened?

Whether or not
You want to admit this
Marilyn Manson
And Lady Gaga
Owe their careers
To the Thin White Duke.

And yes
Even
The "Material Girl"
Madonna does
Too.

Like Iggy Pop
Who's considered
By many
As the "Godfather"
Of Punk music.

So
Is David Bowie
For the emerging New Wave
And Goth genres
Of the mid-1970s
To early 1980s.

With his fashion flair
And gender queer persona
Of Ziggy Stardust
From the late 1960s.

As a teenager
In latter half
Of the 1980s.

Never realized
How much of my life
Was influenced
By him.

Exposing society
To the emerging transcommunity
With his androgynous look
Of Ziggy Stardust.

To which
I can never repay him
With these words.

In knowing
Your time
With us
Enriched everyone
Beyond measure.

Merci
For blessing us.


Therisa © 2016










Author's Note: It was 7:30 am, on the local radio newscast, on CBCRadio1 Toronto, I hear the sad news of David Bowie's death, at age, 69, from cancer. At first, I was shocked, upon hearing this, then saddened, as the reality sunk it. I wrote this poem, Monday afternoon, during my subway ride, to the art studio, where I have an art program, to help me, deal with my mental illness and sense of isolation. I waited, until today (January 12, 2016), before edited the above poem, hoping, the time away, would give the emotional perspective needed, to view this poem, for editing.

The two videos, which I have chosen, are: "Let's Dance" and "Modern Love". For I think, David would want us, to celebrate his life, and the best way, to do so, is with music and dance, hence, "Let's Dance". And "Modern Love", I just the entire tune.

No comments:

Featured post

Chance Encounter (March 13, 2017)

July 21, 2006. A date Forever etched Into my memory. As if Done by A laser. By mistake And pure chance. I enter...