Monday 23 July 2018

The Wilderness Years (July 19 2018)

You talk
About the promised land
Place of milk and honey
Where everyone sits
In the lap of luxury.


And yet
For many people
It's an unattainable dream
Beyond their reach.


Still
They vote
For the dreams
You spin.


Desperately hoping
Things will better
Refusing to believe
Writing on the wall.


World left them
Standing in dust
Without a road map
Or compass
For guidance.


Optimism turns
Blackest depression
Anger mounts
Each passing day
Little change.


Like a false prophet
The people turn to you
Seeking deliverance
In time of darkness.


Willing to accept
Your message of change
Regardless
Of its irrational nature.


Offering quick fixes
To complex questions
You don't have solutions for.


As prices rises
Employees laid off
Left to fend for themselves
You play golf
On the taxpayers’ dime.

Therisa © 2018

Author's note: A poem for Poets United’s midweek motif writing prompt: wilderness.

7 comments:

annell4 said...

Yes, he does, without thought of the citizens of this country. After all the people are not his concern....you nailed it.

Gillena Cox said...

A profound exposé Therisa. Thank you for dropping by my blog today

Much🌻love

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Oh yes, they voted for the dreams he spun - which are our worst nightmares. Well said, Therisa.

Sumana Roy said...

So true.

Kim M. Russell said...

Well put. Therisa. Have you heard that he wants to build on legally protected land in Scotland, where he doesn't even live! He thinks he is loved in Scotland but they hate him too.

Susan said...

"Still
They vote
For the dreams
You spin."

Blindness must be cured through pain, I see!

Amber said...

I live in Sweden now though I was born in the US and lived in the US for most of my life. I went to school to study Swedish and my class was filled with refugees. Many of them could not understand why I would leave America and had these idealized views (this was before Trump) that just didn't match up to reality. The reality now is a dictatorship as far as I can tell.

btw I am
https://mindlovemisery.wordpress.com/

Featured post

Chance Encounter (March 13, 2017)

July 21, 2006. A date Forever etched Into my memory. As if Done by A laser. By mistake And pure chance. I enter...