Friday 13 July 2018

In Honour (June 15, 2018)

For most of my cousins and I
The Second World War
Is a time
Rarely talk about
By my uncles and aunts.

As most
Were too young
To remember
The horrors of Nazi rule
In The Nederland.

My dad was
One week short
Of his ninth birthday
When the Nazis surrendered
On May 5, 1945.

Liberation for the Dutch
And early birthday present
For him.

This Sunday
For Canada and the United States
We celebrate Father's Day
In honouring the men
Who had a positive impact
On our lives.

Whether or not
They have provided
Half of our DNA.

As I get older
I understand
The importance of Remembrance Day
With each passing year
We lost more of these veterans.

Every year
Until his 1998 death
My dad always honoured
Those men
That never came home
To their families.

One of the few times
I remember him
Showing strong emotions
Is November 11th.

And
The time
When I spoke
The unmentionable elephant
To my dad:

Oma has cancer.

Less than 2 months
Before she death
In June 1996.

I don't remember
If dad showed strong emotions
During Oma’s funeral
For which
I was a pallbearer.

Whereas
Opa’s sudden death
As my 14th birthday present
Was like dropping
An emotional tonne of bricks
On me.

For my dad and opa
Sunday is a day
Of thanks.

Honouring those memories
I hold precious
To my heart.

Of the two men
Taken too early
In my life.


Therisa © 2018

No comments:

Featured post

Chance Encounter (March 13, 2017)

July 21, 2006. A date Forever etched Into my memory. As if Done by A laser. By mistake And pure chance. I enter...