Wednesday 28 November 2018

The Hills Are Alive With Music (November 27, 2018)


As a child
I fell in love
With musicals.


Often singing
Certain songs
From my favourites
The classics
Of this art form.


Like “America” or “Tonight”
From Westside Story
To “I’m Going To Wash That Man,
Right Out Of My Hair”
From South Pacific.


I know I know
My Hetero Male Club membership
Is seriously endanger
Of being revoked.


And yes
I was kicked out.


My butt
Still has the imprint
Of the shoe
That booted me.


Bet these songs
Spoke to me
In a way
I can’t describe.


Found myself
Sighing and laughing
With female lead
Throughout the movie.


Movies like
The Star Wars
Or the Rocky franchises
Left me
Feeling blah.


Learning the hard way
Keeping quiet
About musicals.


Males
Who love musicals
Society views
As homosexual.


And I’m not
A gay male.


Rather
A lesbian trapped
In this male body
(Having realizing
My true form).


Thank you
Very much.

Funny
It all started
With a babysister
Playing Grease soundtrack
On dad’s turntable.


Therisa © 2018


Author’s Note: Am still, in recovery mode, after last weekend emotional PTSD flashback
with anxiety/panic attacks. Honestly, I just want to hide and let the tears flow, into nearby
Lake Ontario. Even this poem, semi-upbeat, is triggering me, as I work to finish this note.


To distract myself, I have compiled a list of movies, for various reasons, mean something to
me, personal. Please forgive me, as I, only list these movies, today. Am, in the beginning of
an emotional breakdown and just want to hide. These movies are listed, in no particular
order or reason. This is a faction of the movies that I would love to share.


The Philadelphia Story (1940): Cary Grant, Katharine Hepburn, and Jimmy Stewart.
The basis for the musical, High Society, starring Bing Crosby.


Bringing Up Baby (1938): Cary Grant and Katharine Hepburn. A screwball comedy
deemed a failure, but now viewed, as a classic.


Little Women (1933): Katharine Hepburn, Joan Bennett, and Paul Lukas. Based upon
Louisa May Alcott’s book, of the same name.


Adam’s Rib (1949): Spencer Tracy, Katharine Hepburn and Judy Holiday. Start of
the 25 year relationship between Tracy and Hepburn, on and offscreen for the two
of them.


A Night At The Opera (1935): The first Marx Brothers movie without Zippo.
Their best movie made.


Dr Zhivago (1965): Directed by David Lean. With Omar Sharif, Julie Christie, Geraldine
Chaplin, Rod Steiger. Based on the Boris Pasternak’s novel of the same time title. The
film ruin the novel and accompanying original poetry, Pasternak wrote.


How Green Was My Valley? (1941): Based on the fictional novel, written by Richard
Llewellyn. Starring Walter Pidgeon, Maureen O'Hara, and Anna Lee. Having read
the novel and seen the movie several time, it’s a faithful adaptation. Come prepare
with a box or two of tissues for tears.


Mrs Miniver (1942): Starring Greer Garson, Walter Pidgeon, and Teresa Wright. A
tearjerker about the early months of WWII, for a British family. Another box or two,
of tissues will be needed here.

Westside Story (1961): Directed by Jerome Robbins and Robert Wise. Starring
Rita Moreno, Natalie Wood, George Chakiris, and Richard Beymer. Shakespeare’s
play, Romeo and Juliet is updated and set in New York City. What I love about this
movie, is the songs and dances don’t feel forced to the viewer, and are totally
memorable years later.

12 comments:

brudberg said...

I hope that these days it would give you more allowance to be what you are... made me think of Rufus Wainwright singing Judy Garland...

Amaya said...

This isn't a musical but I hope you get a chance to watch the documentary 'Human' and you can break down the stigmas by which you feel ensnared. Sing on, brother.

Glenn Buttkus said...

Today's musicals pale in the shadow of those classics you mentioned. You would love to visit me. I have 10,000 movies on my shelves, including ALL your faves. I had 30,00 more in VHS, which had to be taken to the dump. I had a 1000 classics recorded on a 8 TB hard drive. It failed last year, and the movies with it. Nothing is permanent. No one collects any more. All films can be streamed; go figure.

Jane Dougherty said...

Seen all of those except Adam's Rib. Do you sing? You sound as though you do or you ought to. Watch Harvey (one of my favourite feel good movies) and have a good laugh :)

ms_lili said...

i wonder where the association of men + musical = gay started? it must have something to do with the emotions that walk hand in hand with all musicals. if you like them you like to feel and in the old school feelings for men weren't allowed. {{hugs}} on trauma trigger backlash

robkistner said...

I am a singer and huge fan of musicals, all music. Love the music of the 40's. Was in many R&B and rock bands throughout the 60's 70's into the 80's. One of my favorite songs of all time is Judy Garland's "The Man That Got Away", This scene in her "A Star Is Born" is fierce! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UzyPMRo8ZUQ In the mid 1970's I put together, and sang lead, a Vegas style floorshow band with 6 instrumentalists, and female co-vocalists. Rita Beech was one of the woman. She sang the shit outta that song. Always brought the house down. BTW, I am a 71-year-old "platinum card" carrying hetero, with three children - so Therisa, screw anybody who doesn't like show tunes!

Grace said...

I love musicals so sing and laugh and enjoy to your heart's content. Be well and keep warm.

Lona Gynt said...

good question Lil, vera good question, has often had me baffled.

Mish said...

Thanks for the openness of your words.
I do like me some "Sound of Music."
Sing it loud. It is a form of healing. Take care.

Lona Gynt said...

(singing) I feel pretty! Oh so pretty! I'm so pretty the city should give me its key!!
:)
I love your list of movies, West Side story is the BEST!!! it has layers, it is so great. I would add that "Carousel" is one of the most lovely and strange musicals, and one that I only recently discovered. Also, shifting from singing to dance.. do you know "The Red Shoes" (Moira Shearer) tht is the reason my Second Life Avatar is always wearing red ballet flats, hehe. Love you taste in celluloid! Let's keep singing sister! :)

Frank Hubeny said...

Musicals are great.

Gina said...

i love musicals! my favourite is Hello Dolly! my dad and I used to watch and I would remember every song. thank you for taking me down memory lane with your lovely words.

Featured post

Chance Encounter (March 13, 2017)

July 21, 2006. A date Forever etched Into my memory. As if Done by A laser. By mistake And pure chance. I enter...