Wednesday 14 November 2018

Anniversaries (November 10, 2018)

From the safety
Of time and distance
I write these words.

In honour and respect
To those people
(Men and women)
Who paid ultimate price
For our rights and freedoms.

Lesson taught
By my immigrant father.

Young Dutch child
Under Nazi occupation
Week prior to 9th birthday
He was liberated
(May 5, 1945).

This Sunday
Centennial anniversary
Of World War I armistice
And the twentieth
Since his death.

Whenever possible
He watched them
Marching to local cenotaph
Veterans and young children
In solemn parade.

Whether or not
My brother and I
Were involved.

As if
Keeping silent vow made
Many years ago
In another country
When a child.

Thanking
Those anonymous men
Who wore Canada
On their uniform
With pride and dignity.

From his failing hands
The torch is passed
Into mine
Still lit.

Continuing the remembrance
Of ultimate selfless sacrifice
These men and women
Have gave us.

Therisa © 2018

Author’s note: Tomorrow, November 15, 2018, will mark the 20th anniversary of the my dad’s death from brain damage, caused by a fatal heart attack on a Friday the 13rd, in 1998. My dad survived almost 36 hours after all live support equipment was removed from him, per his wishes. My dad was many things to me, the least of all, an enigma, who kept his inner feeling about his love ones, to himself. Despite of this, he was the emotional pillar that kept me going, during times of emotional distress and sorrow. Thank you, dad.

For those, who don't know me, November 10-20th, is the hardest emotional period of the year, which my chronic depression is, at its zenith. As I battle SAD, on top of this. As many people have noticed the dramatic decline in poetic output on my part.

1 comment:

Sherry Blue Sky said...

A beautiful poem, Therisa, that honours your father, and all the military. Very well expressed. Your father lived an important time in history. I am so glad he survived to be liberated. He sounds like a wonderful man.

Featured post

Chance Encounter (March 13, 2017)

July 21, 2006. A date Forever etched Into my memory. As if Done by A laser. By mistake And pure chance. I enter...