Tuesday 20 November 2018

My Birthday Present To You (November 19, 2018)

Thank you
New and old friends
Brightening up
Journey of self-discovery/healing.

Celebrating 13th birthday
On November 15th
Twentieth anniversary
Dad's merciful release
From suffering.

Coming out
Being honest
To myself.

Never realizing
Full impact
On my life.

Old wounds
Long suppressed
Emerging-needing confrontation
Before moving on.

Gentle shoulders
Given without asking
Those dark days
Seem overwhelming.

Flashback echoes
Verbal/physical violence
Another lifetime plays
In mind’s eye.

Suicidal attempts
Part of life
Suffering in silent.

Even now
Thoughts are there
The impulse isn't.

Using written words
As medication
For chronic depression/anxiety
And PTSD.

Laying bare
My subconscious
To the healing light.

After long years
In isolated darkness.

Task made easier
With your kind words
And support.

Therisa © 2018

Author’s note: I like to give a shout out, to the latest person, Lona Gynt, who bravery and courage, shared part of herself, with me. Thank you, Lona. Not sure, if I would have done that.

6 comments:

Lona Gynt said...

Thank you Therisa. This is so important and lovely. Let me add a great big Happy Birthday. Hugs! 💜

Lona Gynt said...

I relate so closely to every bit of this, so powerful

Lona Gynt said...

I really love the soft tenderness in these lines:

“Gentle shoulders
Given without asking”

Also the harsh reality that for many, maybe most... transgender individuals suicide thoughts and impulses are “part of life”. That is such a prosaic straightforward description of something that is difficult for people who take the simple congruence of being cisgender for granted. I assert that we need and have a right to live as much as anyone, and to be able to do it without thinking about dying so much. That is an improvement in the world that I think is attainable. Thank you friend for this personal and rather comprehensive poem, it shows both the difficulty and some of the beauty and hope of our circumstance.

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Beautifully written, doing justice to the subject. The spareness and straightforwardness are perfect for this material, I think. (And yes, words – and the crafting of them into verse – can be good medication.)

Susan said...

Good, good, to feel that healing light after so much trauma. To be able to imagine new/different experiences is a step forward, one I often need to seek for myself. Thanks for including me in the journey.

Magaly Guerrero said...

Words are a wonderful salve, for the body and soul... and so are good friends.

Featured post

Chance Encounter (March 13, 2017)

July 21, 2006. A date Forever etched Into my memory. As if Done by A laser. By mistake And pure chance. I enter...