Saturday 9 July 2016

Tears Of A Dreamer (July 9, 2016)

Is it possible
To pardon me
For my crime
Of hubris.

In believing
The United States had
Turned the corner
On its tortured history
Of race relations.

Between
The Afro-American
And "white" communities.

By electing 
Barrack Obama
As president
Twice.

The bitter wounds
From slavery 
And civil rights struggle
Would finally
Have a chance
To heal.

How could I
Be so 
Incredibly wrong?

As the past week
Bleeds out
On the Internet.

Covering me
In the warm blood
Of innocent victims.

Reviving
My own violent experiences
At the hands 
Of total strangers.

Knowing.

Nothing can.

Ever erase.

This shame.

Or guilt.

I live
With.

Therisa © 2016

Author's note: As I am writing this, am forced, to take several breaks, as my eyes, are blinded, by the falling tears. May the families, of the innocent victims, be able to find closure, on their tragic lost, this past week.

No comments:

Featured post

Chance Encounter (March 13, 2017)

July 21, 2006. A date Forever etched Into my memory. As if Done by A laser. By mistake And pure chance. I enter...