Saturday 28 December 2019

Just Imagine (December 11, 2019)

We talk
About ending hate
In building bridges
Between communities.

And yet
These deaths
Continue to escalate.

Where the local news'
Lead story
Another senseless shooting
By hate filled fanatics.

Seeking a broader audience
To spew their toxicity
In drawing new martyrs
For their cause.

At what point
Do we stand up
Striking back
With love
To their hate?

Reclaiming
Our neighbourhoods
One block - at a time.

Where neighbours 
Don't live in fear
Of a car's backfiring
Or firecrackers exploding.

Is the death
Of a loved one
By gunfire.

Call me
A dreamer
Wanting to end
This hateful violence.

Maybe
One day
It will.

Until then
Shall mourn
Each lost life
As a family member.

Therisa © 2019

Author's note: My reaction to the hate-based mass shooting, in Jersey City, NJ (December 10, 2019). I had John Lennon's song, Just Imagine, playing in my mind, as I wrote this.

No comments:

Featured post

Chance Encounter (March 13, 2017)

July 21, 2006. A date Forever etched Into my memory. As if Done by A laser. By mistake And pure chance. I enter...