Monday 7 October 2019

Rise Up, Rise Up (October 7, 2019)



Do you know
Why I'm crying?


Tears slide down
Streaking my face
In frustration.


Where walking is
Act of defiance
Against prejudice.


Which you claim
My very presence
Is causing.


As your entitlement
Base on hate
And ignorance
Is stripped away.


One layer
At a time.


Laying bare
The emptiness
Of your actions/words
Towards others.


Who challenge
Your dogmatic faith
With love and compassion.


Knowing
Freedom time 
Has come.


Therisa © 2019  

Author’s note: The following Toronto event, on September 28, 2019, inspired this poem: https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2019/09/28/christian-groups-march-into-gay-village-leads-to-showdown-with-lgbtq-supporters.html

1 comment:

annell4 said...

Wonderful poem!!!

Featured post

Chance Encounter (March 13, 2017)

July 21, 2006. A date Forever etched Into my memory. As if Done by A laser. By mistake And pure chance. I enter...