Tuesday 4 February 2020

No Turning Back (February 1, 2020)



Go ahead
Walk away
From me.

Abandoned
In my time
Of need.

Starting
My biggest journey
Without you.

Freeing myself
From the hate
You call love.

Wiping away
Tears of shame
I've held close.

Displaying the bruises
You left behind
On me.

Won't come back
Blaming myself
For your violence.

Oh no
Those days
Are long gone.

For I'm a survivor
Who has escaped
Hell's Inferno.

As your hooks
Bounce off
My heart.

Discarded rubble
Grounded into dust
Under my heels.

Walking away
Living my life
In peace.

Therisa © 2020  

Author’s note: Alas, the editing was, the easiest part of writing this very personal
poem, as I’m a survivor of long term abuse, from several family members. Who, I have cut off all contact with my last abuser, November 2015. The mental and emotional pain wasn't justified, in spending time with them.

Written for Earthweal’s weekly prompt: Renewal.

6 comments:

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Sometimes the kindest thing we can do for ourselves is walk away - to a life free of their darkness. Then, new life springs in and we start to bloom. I have made this journey more than once. Bravo!

Sumana Roy said...

"For I'm a survivor"--No easy task indeed. Love the strength and power of the words. It's so fulfilling when we have 'peace' as our reward of our action.

Brendan said...

Pruning is a big part of renewal, saving what has the best chance to grow well. The shears are sharp and cut deeply, but sometimes there isn't any other way. Congrats on the hard work and keep growing.

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Another powerful poem. And this particular renewal was of course essential. So glad you found the courage and sanity to implement it.

hedgewitch said...

Abuse marks our lives and scars and too often limits us. It can never really be undone, I have found, but it can be refused and resisted, and one can walk away as oneself, and not the victim of another--but it takes strength and courage, and this poem has both. Thank you for sharing your own personal journey to renewal.

brudberg said...

We are always left with a choice of cutting away what is rotten or dying. Such a good decision (though painful)

Featured post

Chance Encounter (March 13, 2017)

July 21, 2006. A date Forever etched Into my memory. As if Done by A laser. By mistake And pure chance. I enter...