Tuesday 19 November 2019

Still Standing (October 29, 2019)

Walls collapse
As days grow
Colder and darker.


Drowning out
Whatever words
From tears
Falling above.


Overflowing riverbeds
Of my soulscape
Emotionally charged floodplains
Pulling me - further apart.


Soul cries out
Silence
Only response
Heard back.


Bleak memories
Crawl forth
Into dimming light
That surrounds me.


Condemned
A personal Hell
Most don't understand
Fall from grace.


Where everything is
Soul destroying
'Til nothing exist
But ash.


And yet
Among this debris
Solitary spark emerges
Shining brightly
A phoenix reborn.


Spreading wings
Flexing untried muscles
Like a fledgling 
For the first time.


Taking tentative steps
Unsure of themself
Fighting the darkness
Clinging to the soul.


Final moment
Draws nigh
When the phoenix
Takes flight.


Leaving behind
Past life's toxicity
Full of doubts
And hurting.


Each pumping wingbeat
Climbing higher
Into the nighttime sky
And freedom.


As the toxic
Swirling dust eddies
Settle down.


Therisa © 2019

Author’s note: What it felt like, to come out of the gender closet, and the struggles that I faced. And no, I'm not a big fan of Elton John, but the title of this song seemed approximate for me.

No comments:

Featured post

Chance Encounter (March 13, 2017)

July 21, 2006. A date Forever etched Into my memory. As if Done by A laser. By mistake And pure chance. I enter...