Tuesday 6 June 2017

Ripples, From Across The Pond (June 6, 2017)




A pinprick
Against my skin
Releasing 
A red teardrop
Into a vast ocean
Of sorrow.

Washing over me
Like a storm surged tide
Eroding the shorelines
Of my soulscape
With each wave.

Spiralling downwards
Into an endless maelstrom
Of darkness and sadness
That threatens
To overwhelm me
In its vortex.

Struggling 
In my fight
To break through 
This plastic surface
Of discarded bottles
And other things.

Entangling my limbs
In their ever growing web
Of entrapment
Like a finely spun
Net of hate.

My body
Washed ashore
Like a beached whale
Or dolphin.

Too tired 
To continue
In this fight
For life.

As my lifeforce
Bleeds out
Screaming:

"Murderers!"

To no avail.

Therisa © 2017

Author's note: When someone uses terror, as a weapon, we all lose a part of our soul, to these acts of hate. Never, to regain that lost innocence, where love and compassion live, within us. Empowering those, who will hate to fight against hate, as a weapon, like President Trump, proposes, with his travel bans, against select Moslem nations. Especially, after the latest attacks, in England. Totally ignoring the fact, most acts of terror, are committed by native-born citizens.

15 comments:

Sumana Roy said...

"My body
Washed ashore
Like a beached whale
Or dolphin."......perfectly expresses what's happening...sigh..

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Your lines hit home........we have lost our innocence, but I love seeing the tide of compassion that rises in response to these disturbing events.

Purba chakraborty said...

Powerful words. Beautifully expressed!

indybev said...

Philosophically deep and moving.

Susan said...

"Like a finely spun
Net of hate."

So it is! Marvelously complete picture of a devastating reality. When you can write like this, you contribute to hope.

Therisa's World said...

Thank you, Sherry, but I was honestly scared that I had pooched this poem, with using this week writing prompt of oceans, as a metaphor for the bigotry and violence against our fellow human being. Whether or not, I contribute to the growth of hope, like Susan writes, in her comments on this poem, I don't know. Still, even one death is one too many, and a mark of failure, for all of us, when it happens.

Rob Jackson said...

Lots of good imagery.

Anonymous said...

Oh! The imagery in this verse is painful and tinged with our sad realities. As a personal anecdote, it's heartbreaking and as a narrative point of view, it's so melancholic.
-HA

Mary said...

One really has to keep up the fight....never give up!

Khaya Ronkainen said...

Powerful first stanza, and an affecting piece overall.

Panchali said...

There's a wonderful tendency in humans- to face adversity and yet be able to turn face towards sunshine. So, ultimately the good soul urges you to move on...!! Wonderful piece...

Old Egg said...

This is probably the best of you poems about your abuse in earlier years, a truly great write.

Therisa's World said...

Interesting enough, Robin, this poem isn't about me, rather the violence that rocked the United Kingdoms, over the past month. As a poetic metaphor, for it.

Thank you, Robin, for your compliment on this poem, just wish, no one had to died, in these senseless acts of violence, against innocent victims, regardless, of their ethnicity or religious beliefs.

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Yes, powerful poem, and well-chosen video.

Therisa's World said...

Thank you, Rosemary. This video is, part of my teenage years, where Depeche Mode was, one of those groups, I listened to.

Featured post

Chance Encounter (March 13, 2017)

July 21, 2006. A date Forever etched Into my memory. As if Done by A laser. By mistake And pure chance. I enter...