Tuesday 31 July 2018

Therisa, Am I? (July 31, 2018)

Who's this person
Writing personal things
I've trouble talking?

Removing personal filter
Previously block
Information release.

Typed words flows
Unconscious stream
Painful thoughts
Unspoken.

Stuttering rapids
Sentences shredded
Angry white water boils
Cuts and bruises hidden.

Confusion grows
Emotional reactions
Not understanding
How (raw[?]) lines of verse
Moves you so.

Sigh.

Helping others find
Where serenity pools
At life's cul de sac
Of inner peace.

While life is
Wild spawning salmon
Swimming upstream
Against current.

Chronic battle
With mental illness
To stop-is death.

This is me
Yet not.

Therisa © 2018


Author's note: A poem for Poets United’s midweek motif writing prompt: "a bundle of contradictions" or Anne Frank's last letter.

15 comments:

Sumana Roy said...

Every word here throbs with feeling. Love the 'spawning salmon' stanza.

Susan said...

OMG! This is my favorite poem you have ever written! I love
"Stuttering rapids
Sentences shredded
Angry white water boils"
and "removing the personal filter."
and
"While life is
Wild spawning salmon
Swimming upstream
Against current."
I get the difficulty writing, but also the water needs to flow. You voice this for so many, so many. Beautiful and true.

Susan said...

"This is me, yet not"!

Brother Ollie said...

Honest authentic, as well a tightly written. Powerful piece.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

This is my all-time favourite of yours too. Wonderful! I LOVE life is wild spawning salmon. Wonderful imagery, wonderfully written. I love it!

Gillena Cox said...

Yes!!! this is candid and life-saving to the poet
"To stop-is death.

This is me
Yet not."

much love...

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

Sometimes we are sure we know who we are, and sometimes we are just as sure we know not. Thank you for your honesty in this poem.

annell4 said...

What a wonderful poem, honest, raw, right here in this moment! I love it!xoxo

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Oh my goodness!💕 This is so very beautiful! "This is me Yet not"... sigh.. yes! Poetry brings out a side of us we never knew that existed. 💕

Kim M. Russell said...

A raw and emotional introspective poem, Therisa. There's strong imagery in the lines:
' Stuttering rapids
Sentences shredded
Angry white water boils
Cuts and bruises hidden'.

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

I think you have gone to a new level in this one, in creating poetry from the raw (!) material of your life.

Thotpurge said...

This is me..yet not..wonderful expression of inner conflict. Esp like life's cul de sac
Of inner peace.

Cressida de Nova said...

Swimming upstream against the current is exhausting.

Romana Iorga said...

Admiring the muscle of these brave words:
"While life is
Wild spawning salmon
Swimming upstream
Against current."

purplepeninportland.com said...

Where serenity pools at life's cul de sac of inner peace'

The image of serenity pooling is one that resonates with me. Swimming upstream is fighting for who you are. Beautiful, Therisa!

Featured post

Chance Encounter (March 13, 2017)

July 21, 2006. A date Forever etched Into my memory. As if Done by A laser. By mistake And pure chance. I enter...