Friday 13 July 2018

Cherished Memories (June 17, 2018)

It has been 34 years
Four months
And 15 days
Since your sudden death
On my birthday
Opa.

As I was exploring
The wonderful world
Of puberty
For the first time.

Trust me
It's even worse
Doing it
For the second time
As an adult.

Sigh.

On my saddest day
A smile graces me
Remembering your antics
With us.

Your grandchildren
And great grandchildren.

The toothless grin
Lighting up your face
Like a 1000 watt light bulb
As you chuckle
At our reactions.

Where everyday worries
Took a backseat
To the corner of love
And pure joy
You generated
Opa.

Especially
When you offer us
Some of your candy
(Coarse cut chewing tobacco)
In broken English and Dutch.

Your eyes lit with humour
As we screw up
Our faces.

Younger children runaway
Shrieking “Opa!”
In rejection.

Knowing smiles
And laughter
Filled the living room
Of those watching.

Even now
Am smiling
At this memory
As I write this.

Thank you
Opa.

Therisa © 2018

No comments:

Featured post

Chance Encounter (March 13, 2017)

July 21, 2006. A date Forever etched Into my memory. As if Done by A laser. By mistake And pure chance. I enter...