Wednesday 12 October 2016

Retail Therapy (October 12, 2016)

I see you
All decked out
To the "nines".

In your expensive
Brand name
Clothes.

Price tags
Still attached.

Strutting around
Like a gaudy Peacock
To my thrift store/clothing bank
Clothes.

And yet
I wonder.

Are you purchasing
Your happiness
With debit
And credit cards?

While
A crater exist
Within your soul
Yearning
For fulfilment.

As you look down
At people
Like myself.

Like we're gum
On the soles
Of your latest
Air Jordan shoes.

Never seeing
That true wealth
Isn't found
In a department store
Or an auto dealership.

Rather
In one's ability
To share
And help others.

Regardless
Of your needs
And wants.

In bringing joy
And happiness
To them.

Therisa © 2016

Author's note: For the past 2 weeks, I have been battling, a very nasty flu bug that decided to arrive, a month earlier, than normal, for me. As this is, my third poem, I have written this month. Wish, I could say, all of my symptoms have gone away, but my asthmatic cough and nose bleeds are still hanging around. 

8 comments:

Susan said...

Great contrasts! I sense the narrator truly cares that the other hears the message. And his content. No emptiness there! Thank you.

Old Egg said...

It has long been a fault of humans to acquire stuff to profess wealth but in reality being poverty stricken in love, compassion and charity. I used to suffer from nosebleeds a lot when younger but had it cauterised which helped a lot!

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Therisa, it is lovely to see you posting. I hope that bug is soon gone. I have always worn thrift store clothes and enjoy the freedom of not caring about "style". I agree with you, happiness can't be bought in a department store. I love your wise words about the joy to be found in caring and sharing. Those of us who have struggled financially all our lives know this very well. Great Poem! Hope you are better soon.

Marja said...

Love your words with lots of wisdom
Sorry to hear about your flu Take care

baili said...

rich ,shiny wise words ,stepped in straight in heart

Sanaa Rizvi said...

I am so sorry to hear about the flu and my god nose bleeds! Hope you feel better soon. Excellent write.

Justin Lamb said...

Great observation. Being superficial is a harsh reality for many people unfortunately.

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Yes, I think it is often so - consumerism as a substitute for ... self-love, perhaps?
Hope you are well again by now.

Featured post

Chance Encounter (March 13, 2017)

July 21, 2006. A date Forever etched Into my memory. As if Done by A laser. By mistake And pure chance. I enter...