Friday 28 October 2016

Dark Side Of Hallowe'en (October 27, 2016)

See you
Prancing around
Like it is
A huge joke.

In wearing
Those cheap 
Halloween wigs.

Taking selfies
To post
On your Facebook 
Accounts.

Saddened me
To my soul's core.

I know
You'll never understand
Why I am feeling 
This way.

For you
It's a one time 
Deal.

Hallowe'en.

But
For people
Like myself
It's a lifetime
Commitment.

It's blazing
A different path
That society
Is reluctantly slow
In accepting.

Having experienced
First hand
The darker side
Of humanity
And trans-bashing.

Until like
Those reality shows
On the TV.

Only showing
The lighter side.

Therisa © 2016

Author's note: Yesterday (October 27, 2016), the local public library branch held a puppet show, for the kids, which, afterwards, three teenagers goofed around, with the wigs and taking selfies. Wanted to say something, but was scared, I would be labelled, as oversensitive, for my reactions to these teens. I know, they meant nothing, but it still hurt.

1 comment:

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Yes, they were unaware, and just having fun. But I am struck by what it must feel like, to feel as you say in your poem that, for you, it is a lifetime condition. Thanks for raising awareness, as your poems always do, Therisa. Glad you are writing.

Featured post

Chance Encounter (March 13, 2017)

July 21, 2006. A date Forever etched Into my memory. As if Done by A laser. By mistake And pure chance. I enter...