Thursday 12 May 2016

Nothing Is Perfect (May 12, 2016)

I don't write
To crucify
The institution
Of motherhood.

Rather
Am dealing
With the hurt
And pain.

From
One misdirected
Woman.

For whom
The world identifies
As my birth mother.

Never realizing
Or believing
Some women
Aren't meant
To become mothers.

Unlike
Driving a car
That requires
One to earn
A license.

Child rearing
Doesn't.

Instead
One is thrown
Into shark infested waters
Without any safety measures
And expected
To thrive.

Most do
For those
Who don't
The children suffer.

As I did
With my mom.

When
My younger brother
Went ballistic
In the summer of 1985.

Not sure.

Whether
It was pride
Or guilt.

In failing
With us.

That kept her
For reaching out
To the community
And family
For help.
 
Only hindsight
Knows.

Therisa © 2016

Author's note: A reflective thought, on yesterday's poem, The Caged Bird, that I wrote. Yes, I retain a lot of anger and hostility, towards my mom, for the things that she did to me, over the years, which has harmed me, in my development, as a person, and her child. And yet, I wonder, how things would have turned out, had someone intervened, and took my brother out, and helped him, to deal with his own issues, which he took out, on the rest of the family.

No comments:

Featured post

Chance Encounter (March 13, 2017)

July 21, 2006. A date Forever etched Into my memory. As if Done by A laser. By mistake And pure chance. I enter...